Saturday, February 26, 2011

Blade Runner Ethics

When I saw this movie I thought about the ethics of modern day genetics and stem-cell research. Even though this movie was made a long time ago, there must have been some genetic research going on such as manufacturing animals by genetics. I compared the replicants to these genetic animals, as they often have short lives and are used for experimentation. These new-model replicants seem to contain feelings of emotion and sympathy for each other and are trying to prolong their life because of the fear of death and lost memories. At the end when Roy says he has "seen many things you people wouldn't believe" I think he believes that he doesn't deserve to die because of all the experiences that he has been through, but then he realizes that in the end, every memory will fade with time just as life will fade. I compare this to animal research because I don't think it is right to create something that contains feelings of emotions and are capable of living because of the limited time they have. If I put myself in the replicants' situation, I would have done the same thing to escape and travel to earth to try and prolong my life. I think almost everyone would rank death up there in the top things people are afraid of so these replicants probably found out that they were androids and were going to die soon, so they did as much as possible to live longer, or died trying. I thought that these androids were not "bad", they were just like any other living organism as they were forced to do deeds to survive and prolong their life. If the citizens or creators wanted them to not be so rebellious, they should not have made these androids with human emotions and the capabilities of thinking so abstractly about life. This movie also reminded me a lot of I.Robot because of the similarities between these service robots and their artificial intelligence and how Sonny could feel emotion. In all, I feel like the final cut used a lot of complex thoughts on the ambiguity of replicants versus humans as we finally figure out Deckerd is a replicant. Yet, I always wondered why if he was a replicant, why he was not as strong as the other replicants. Maybe he was some new breed of replicant where he was actually part human and part android?

1 comment:

  1. The relationship between humans and replicants in "Blade Runner" reminds me a lot of the relationship between the humans and robots in "I, Robot." It is important for me to compare the two relationships and not the two movies in general, because I hated "I, Robot." Both films deal with the old sci-fi storyline that it is a bad idea to give non-human machines human-like feelings. Though they initially play into this theme, the ending of both movies attempts to turn the usual storyline on its head. The main robot in "I, Robot" turns out to be good, just as Roy in "Blade Runner" helps out Deckard and elicits sympathy from the audience.

    ReplyDelete