Saturday, April 2, 2011

Black Sunday

Personally I liked Mario Bava’s “Black Sunday.” The background music in the film is definitely different from what we usually hear in horror films today. The instrumentals are much more prevalent, like an actual orchestra, unlike the synthesized music in the modern thrillers. I’m sure that all films in the 1960s had similar music.


There was a lot of gore in the film, which I’m sure was much more appalling to audiences in the 1960s. Especially the scene we watched in class where they nailed down the mask of Satan on the body of the witch’s beautiful look-alike descendant. They pounded the mask onto her face, with the blood squirting out of the holes. I also liked how the camera made the shot seem as if we were looking through the mask. We learned that this film was known for its extremely stylish characteristics. I’m sure the audiences in the 60s had the same reactions of disgust when we saw the studs on the back of the mask that would penetrate her face. I would consider renting this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment