Thursday, April 21, 2011

Funny Games

I must admit, after seeing Michael Haneke's Funny Games, I left the showing feeling quite disturbed. I had a sickening feeling throughout my being and I remember thinking, could such malicious evil truly exist in our world. For, unlike many other horror films watched through our class, Funny Games presented a horrific scenario that stayed within the realm of possibility. While I will inevitably be frightened by films such as Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Night of the Living Dead, the level of fear I attain from realistic horrors such as Funny Games is unparalleled. In such films, the evil is performed by mere humans performing simply sadistic--yet plausible--actions. While I find it improbable that someone could be driven to such madness, it's not impossible and, therefore, unnerving for the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment