Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Welcome to Film and Culture

As I stated in class, my name is Dr. Al Miller, and I am postdoctoral lecturer in UNC's Department of English and Comparative Literature.  My hometown is West Monroe, LA, and I received my Bachelor's in English from the University of Louisiana at Monroe.  I then moved to Chapel Hill for my graduate studies at UNC.  I received my M.A. and Ph.D. in English from UNC.  My primary specialties are 20th Century American Literature, Literary and Critical Theory, Film studies, philosophy, modernism and postmodernism, science fiction, and horror.  My dissertation, "Variables of the Human," concerned the relation between science fiction and critical theory--it explored issues in psychoanalysis, postmodern theory, gender studies, and film narratology.  I have published one article on psychoanalysis and anime, including Ghost in the Shell which we will be watching later this semester.  I'm currently in the process of revising my dissertation into my first book manuscript as well as searching for tenure track professorships.  I have taught classes in composition, American literature, fiction, gay and lesbian literature, contemporary literature, and film.  I'm thrilled about our class this semester, and I look forward to getting to know you all in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment